Tuesday, July 24, 2007

About me...

A little about me...

After working for a couple of manufacturing companies over the last few years, I came to the realization that I wanted my career to mean something. So, I jumped over to education. This jump took me 6 months to make and a major adjustment to my finances but I know it will be well worth it.

The decision to make the jump did not happen overnight. I went to college thinking I was going to be a Doctor. Because of this, I chose to attend Austin College in Sherman, TX. After barely passing my Pre-Med courses the first year, I decided to look at their education classes. I was already on a path to get my Latin Degree (I took Latin to help with the medical terms.), so being a Latin teacher was something I felt would be an easy switch. It actually was for me. I liked the structure of the class as well as the philosophies on teaching. I also started looking at what it would take to coach as well, since my coaches were some of the biggest influences in Middle and High school. I ran into a snag my senior year. Because of some scheduling conflicts, I was unable to meet some of my remaining requirements to get into the teaching program. So, I graduated with my Latin degree and no idea on how to get a job with it.

After failing to land a job at a private school teaching Latin, I got a job working for a Help Desk of a 500 employee company. (It did not hurt that my dad was the Systems Administrator there, and that I had a PC in my house since I was 5.) After 18 months there, I got tired of training my peers and watching them get promoted past me. (I must be a good teacher ;)) So, I then decided to go work for one of the 2 manufacturing companies that I would work for the next 7 years and would teach me about cutting edge technology and how to manage the cutting edge technology.

Even during those 7 years, I kept placing feelers out to different schools because I knew that I did not want to work where I could not make a true difference. I finally got a hit in December of 2006. I had a friend of mine who started working for an education service center, and he told me about an opening at a private school that I maybe interested in. Well, suffice it to say I got that job and I could not be happier.

~eric

No comments: